Tuesday, June 10, 2008

PHOTOS

SAVING OUR SWEET POTATO PLANTS


It has been too wet to transplant our sweet potato plants. The plants (or slips as they are called) come in the mail from a farm in Tennessee packed in peat moss. The slips are thin roots with a few leaves attached. We trim off the leaves to reduce evaporation before we plant them. On Monday we had to dig small trenches in the field and temporarily plant the sweet potatoes until the field is dry enough to plant them permanently. We should be able to dig them up and plant them on Friday or Saturday.

OUR NEW TURKEY FLOCK


Baby Large White Turkeys



Baby Broad-Breasted Bronze Turkeys

1 comment:

Rboydmil said...

Johnny, Jean-Paul, Jody and Dave,

I understand that times are tough right now, and costs are rising. As much as I wait for the first week in June to pick up my veggies, I am concerned too, for the welfare of the farm. I can't speak for other members, but I would rather get a small share during any particular week, than have the farm spend unbudgeted money to purchase a supplement. I'm not only in it for the delicious vegetables, but the benefit of the farm and the environment.